Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Family Through My Mother's Point of View...

Part of the study in Cultural Anthropology requires interviewing people in order to gather some information and data. For this week, we were required to choose a family member to conduct an interview with and discuss the topic of kinship.
I decided to interview my mother. My mother was born in Jordan, during a time when technology was not as well developed as it is today. My mother was able to finish only two years of college as her parents did not permit her to stay in a school where males also attended it. She became a physical education teacher for almost 25 years. Being a P.E. teacher was did not allow for my mother to have high economic state. My mother married my dad at the age of 26 and together, they maintained an average middle class social living. Along with me, my mother also had three other children, all of who are older than me. My mom belongs to the Arabic culture, a very conservative culture that differs greatly from the American culture. Due to the fact that my mom was born into the Arabic culture, she also lived and taught my siblings and I the morals and values of the Arabic culture. My mother and father sought a more stable financial state of living; they decided to move into the United States to seek better work opportunities. Up until today, my mother considers herself a part of the middle class and a part of the Arabic community and culture. 


Due to the fact that my mother was born in Jordan, her primary language is Arabic. She has had difficulties learning the English Language as she moved to the United States at an older age. Because of this, the interview was conducted in Arabic. As an interviewer, I had to make sure to translate the question to Arabic very well in order to get the precise answer I needed. The interview itself was very comfortable because it was with someone who I knew very well. Because of this comfort level, I feel like this interview was very thorough and complete. Also, since my mother was unaware of the reasons behind this interview, her answers were very honest and did not include any false information. If I was interviewing someone who was not related to me, I feel as if the interview would have some awkward moments. Also, I would not be very confident that they would answer all of my questions as thorough and as honest as I would want them to. 


The main description for my mother's kinship pattern would be "patrilineal descent". This means that the power and authority is transferred through the male line in the family. My mother was born into a household where the family's decision was maintained by her father, who's father also controlled the family's decisions. Because of that, when she married my father, who's family also gave the power to his father, she was not granted very much power. Instead, my mother carried on the role of making the decisions for the household. Because of that, my brothers assume most of the control in my house. Due to the fact that my mother was born into the Arabic culture, her family belongs to the eskimo system where it is important to identify the mother, father, brother, and sister in the family, while catagorizing the other relatives as uncles and aunts. Aunts and uncles have different Arabic terms depending whether they are from the mother's side or the father's side.


Within my mother's family, there seems to be stronger bonds between the females than the males. While my mother is close with all her siblings, her brothers are not as close to each other. When asked who my mother would turn to in time of need, she said she would seek her sister's help. When I asked why, she said because her sister is the only one who is living in the United States as well. I, then, followed up with the same question but asked her to exclude the distance factor. She then answered that she would seek all of her sibling's help because, once again, she is close to all of them relatively the same. My mother's kinship has a common characteristic of kindness. Her siblings and her are very kind and sweet to everyone else. However, they have different expectations of the children depending on their age. While all children are expected to attend school and college and maintain excellent study ethics, older ones are also expected to maintain excellent work ethics and to work hard to gain whatever they desire. All children are also expected to stick to their traditions and culture and to remain respectful to the elderly. There are no ethnic differences within the family which limit the social differences within the family. When I asked my mother what impacted her family to stay together and maintain great social interactions, she responded with "all thanks to my parents who made sure we loved each other and made sure we always counted on each other". This is the reason why my mother tries to continue this pattern and tries to create a great relationship between my siblings and I.

Speaking from my point of view, I would say that I am not as familiar with all my relatives as I thought I was. I am familiar with my aunts and uncles from my mother's side, not from my father's side. Due to family fueds in the past, most of the communication between my family has been with my mother's side of the family. This is why I am most familiar with them. While I may know the names of my uncles and aunts from my father's side, I do not know them as well as I know my aunts and uncles from my mother's side. This shows that the relationship that parents have with their relatives has a great impact on the relationship their children have with those relatives. Since the move to the United States, I have only been able to socialize with my aunt who lives here. There are some phone conversations I have with my other uncles, but it is not the same. I think this is influences by the geographical distance. My aunt here is only a few minutes away from me, while my uncles and aunt in Jordan are across the world from me making it harder to socialize.

Before coming to the United States and seeing the cultural pattern here, my father had the most influence in making the decisions for the family. This is because that was the typical case in the Arabic culture. However, that changed when we made the move to the USA. While living here, my mother learned that both the husband and the wife make mutual decisions regarding the family and began to make the decisions with my father as well. This is part of the cultural adaptations that my family adopted.

Treatments in the family differs from gender to gender. For example, while males are allowed to go out more and allowed a later curfew, the females are not allowed to stay out late. This is part of the Arabic culture that tries to protect the vulnerable and "innocent" girl. However, there is no different treatment towards those who are married into the family as marriage brings in a new family member that is still respected and loved by all.

Through this experiment, I was able to learn the reasons for why my mother acts a certain way towards me, and why out family socializes more with her side of the family. I also learned of some deaths in the family that I was unaware of since I was born after all the deaths occurred. This was a very helpful experiment because I was able to see my family from my mother's point of view which is a very reliable source.



10 comments:

  1. Regarding the adapatation you were talking about, I would like to point one thing. I am from an Arabic culture too, but we have lots of families where the husband and wife make decisions together. Our Arabic cultures are becoming westernized. They are putting these good westernized ideas in their traditions (in use) now a days and thats a good thing in my opinion. I think thats a good think that your dad has accepted her decisions because I know how hard for some men to accept the wife's decision :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fascinating interview to read, and I appreciate the time you put into this post and the interview.

    A couple of side comments...

    I have to compliment you on coming up with back-up questions when you felt your original questions didn't produce complete answers. That is very hard for a new anthropologist to do as they usually get stuck on their script and don't really think about the answers they are getting. Well done.

    I was also very interesting in the "cultural change" aspect of your mother's life. I would have been interested to get your father's input on what it was like to have your mother take on more responsibility and family influence. That might make for an interesting follow-up discussion some time if you are so inclined.

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was actually considering bringing that topic up to my father and discuss how he felt about my mother sharing control with him. Then I realized that I was able to see the shift and could tell what his response would have been. I know he struggled in the beginning but now, he is used to seeking my mom's opinion in making decisions, which I am very happy about!

      Delete
  3. Even though your mother has a struggle with English, I thought it was amazing how someone conducted it, so you could do your interview, nicely don't. I use to speck German, before I meant my boyfriend and spoke two different languages, and I grew about from my German what a shame. :( Your post interested me so much because of the effort you have put into it. I guess no matter what generation we are in; we will always go beyond for our family. I liked your post a lot, good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like everyone else, I'm so happy your mom was comfortable and strong enough to take the reins and make/enforce decisions as well. I'm assuming you were born in Jordan as well? It makes me wonder what culture changes you must've gone through, although you were probably young. I think it's wonderful your were able to conduct the interview in Arabic to make it easier for your mother; I've never taken the time to learn my native languages and this makes me regret that. You clearly put a lot of time and effort into this project, and I hope you score well because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I was born in Jordan as well and I moved into the United States when I was 11 years old. I also experienced changes in the culture as I was now part of a more open minded society. I did not have to make sure my clothes were too revealing as I would have to when I was in Jordan. I think knowing your native language is a really wonderful thing as it makes you feel like you really do belong in that culture, so I would say if you can, you should definitely look into learning it! :)

      Delete
  5. This was really wonderful to read because this is a culture most Americans are not familiar with to the fullest and they can often be scared. I really enjoyed reading about your mother and father and how they take on roles as a whole since coming to the U.S. rather than your dad still playing the key role as a leader. Do you know if it was hard for them to become accustom to these ways or did these ways play a role as to why they decided to move here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was hard to get accustomed in the beginning but soon, both my parents were used to making mutual decisions. However, it was not why they moved here because the reason for our move was to seek better job opportunities. Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete
  6. Batool, I think your paragraph on the cultural adaptations your family have made is very nicely put! It is interesting that you recognized a shift in decision making as a result of their transition into American culture. It is also refreshing to see how your mother gained more control and earned a voice, seeing that she came from a family that is strongly patrilineal. It is not surprising then, to see how attitudes differ from gender to gender since males are given more power and authority to make decisions for themselves.

    ReplyDelete